Monday, December 1, 2008

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders

1% of all children are born with a disorder that falls under the spectrum of Fetal Alcohol. Fetal Alcohol is caused by a pregnant woman consuming alcohol while she is pregnant. There is a range of disorders that are included in this spectrum. The effects of fetal alcohol can include physical, mental, behavioral, and learning disabilities. The most serious fetal alcohol disorder is called fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS).

Children with fetal alcohol syndrome have facial abnormalities, growth deficiencies, and problems with the central nervous system. Because of the problems with the nervous system people with FAS often have problems with memory, learning, attention span, communication, vision, and hearing. There is no cure for FAS.

Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) also include fetal alcohol effects (FAE), alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder (ARND), and alcohol-related birth defects (ARBD). Children with FAE often have minor behavioral and cognitive problems. ARND often is related to functional and mental problems, while children with ARBD often have problems with their heart, kidneys, bones, and/or hearing.

Children with FASD typically have some or all of the following characteristics:

  • · Low birth weight
  • · Facial abnormalities i.e. small eye openings
  • · Poor coordination
  • · Hyper behavior
  • · Speech and language delays
  • · Learning disabilities
  • · Mental retardation
  • · Sleep and sucking disturbances in infancy
  • · Poor judgment and reasoning skills

Interesting Statistics

  • · 40,000 newborns are born with FASDs each year
  • · FAS costs the nation up to $6 billion each year
  • · FAS can cost on individual at least $2 million throughout their lifetime
  • · FASD is the leading known cause of mental retardation in the U.S.
  • · 1 in 9 pregnant women binge drinks in the first 3 months of pregnancy

All of the fetal alcohol spectrum disorders are completely preventable. There is no safe amount of alcohol for a pregnant woman to drink. Women that are considering becoming pregnant or are sexually active and not using birth control should not consume alcohol.

For more information please visit the National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or the FASD Center for Excellence

3 comments:

Emily said...

I think it is so sad that most of the damage that from FAS occurs early in the pregnancy, before the woman even knows she is pregnant. That's why it is so important to regulate alcohol intake if you might become pregnant, like you said.

Speakers Bureau said...

I didn't know that FAS fell under a bigger umbrella of Fetal Alcohol Disorders. What a tragedy that these disorders are completely preventable! If only women would be responsible enough to not consume alcohol of there is a possibility of becoming pregnant.

TINA PHILIPA said...

I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email;  drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or     Whatsapp     +2349010754824    website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.comDr  Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
HIV,  Herpes , Cancer,  Chronic Disease,  Asthma ,  Parkinson's disease,  External infection,  Als, progeria, common cold,  multiple sclerosis disease,   Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea, Heart Disease, meningitis, Esquizofrenia, Toxoplasmosis, Diabetes,  Kidney Disease,  Lupus,  Epilepsy,   Stroke,Eczema, Erysipelas Eating Disorder,  Back Pain. Osteoporosis etccontact him for your solution.